Music contributes to making the world a more beautiful and inhabitable place. And we, the musical instrument industry, have to do our part.
GEWA Responsibility is our strategy for more sustainability and responsibility in our company, for our customers, and towards the next generation.
The musical instrument industry has been better than its reputation for decades in terms of sustainability. That is good. But that's not nearly enough for us. We know that we can do much more. GEWA Responsibility is a promise of future perfection and, at the same time, an indication of processes that have already been realized. GEWA Responsibility impressively describes the path our company has already taken for many years.
We can guarantee all the successes and standards mentioned for our in-house production, be it our workshops in Germany or our own manufacturing sites in Asia. We work hard not only to demand the same standards from our suppliers, but also to implement them. GEWA Responsibility means setting a good example.
Year after year we work with our partners to reduce our ecological footprint.
To achieve this, in our production we pay attention to...
• the avoidance of environmentally harmful chemicals.
• the continuous expansion in the use of water-based lacquers.
• compliance with strict limits for wastewater production.
• the use of sustainably harvested European woods.
• the selection of other raw materials such as textiles according to certified ecological criteria.
Our customers are the centre of our attention. This applies to their musical needs as well as to their personal health. Making music should be an unreserved pleasure for everyone. That is what we stand for.
Out of responsibility for your health we pay attention to...
• reliable REACH-compliant use of chemicals.
• strict control and avoidance of plasticizers.
• exclusive use of solvent-free lacquers.
• compliance with and regular review of all guidelines for children's toys for relevant products.
We are responsible for our own employees and the employees of our suppliers. It is our responsibility to protect the health of our employees and to ensure that every manufacturing process is carried out to the highest standards. That's why we set high standards for all employees in our own divisions, in Germany, in the rest of Europe, in the USA and in Asia.
• occupational health and safety in accordance with high international standards.
• working time regulations that enable an adequate work/life balance, regardless of the location.
• fair remuneration.
• consistent prohibition of child and forced labour.
For the surface lacquering of the musical instrument, we exclusively use water-based and bio-compatible lacquers = GEWA AQUA FINISH.
In order to thin a varnish and make it sprayable, it must be mixed with solvent. In conventional production of musical instruments, substances that are hazardous to health and ecologically harmful are often used for this purpose. In the lacquers used by GEWA, water is added instead of these conventional solvents. The lacquer is dried and hardened by means of ultraviolet light (water-based UV varnish).
In addition, the lacquers we use are characterised by their bio-compatibility. This means that the surface that is touched when playing the guitar does not have any negative impact on the metabolism of living tissue that comes into direct contact with it.
All GEWA guitars that use this finish are marked with our »AQUA FINISH« seal. This underlines our commitment to sustainability and environmental protection. The importance of YOUR HEALTH and THE PROTECTION OF OUR EMPLOYEES IN THE PRODUCTION PROCESS are particularly close to our hearts.